Viswa & Devji was launching its exclusive diamond jewellery showroom in Chennai. The first retail division of Viswa & Devji was set up in Coimbatore in 2008. During a time when very few contemporary diamond brands existed in the market, Viswa & Devji was a breath of fresh air. The differentiating factor for Viswa & Devji was its exceptional quality and exquisite designs.
Viswa & Devji wanted to position itself as a highly aspirational brand from the very beginning. As a result, Viswa & Devji have strict quality standards and use only the best quality diamonds in all products. Moreover, the designs were not replicated or produced on a mass scale. Each design was developed in very few numbers thus resulting in rarity. Though other brands had similar services, Viswa & Devji was offering exclusivity as its prime offering and that was far ahead of what other brands offered.
With its rich heritage in artistry, a manifold cosmopolitan approach and vibrancy, all depicting the heart of Viswa & Devji jewellery, Chennai was chosen as the ideal place for setting up the new Viswa & Devji jewellery showroom. Set in the bustling High street of Chennai on G.N Chetty Road, it is designed to international standard which also has a luxurious lounge providing exclusivity and privacy to its niche clientele. This strategic launch of a showroom in Chennai was conceptualised to cater to clients across Tamil Nadu and parts of Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka. Viswa & Devji will target clientele who are quality conscious, who have a taste for fine jewellery and who appreciate exclusive one-of-a-kind premium quality diamond jewellery.
The Task: As the brand consultants of Viswa & Devji, HUT was given the task of conceptualizing, planning and executing the entire task of promoting the launch of Brand Viswa & Devji in Chennai.
The Strategy: Viswa & Devji was already a well established brand in Coimbatore. But not so much in Chennai. The key task was to create a lot of buzz around the brand and its launch in Chennai. The aspirational value that the brand possess in Coimbatore needed to be replicated and in many ways magnified when shifting to Chennai. Being a brand that does everything from procuring to designing to manufacturing to retail in-house, it was vital that the brand use its strengths to build credibility and differentiation in the Chennai market.
It was important to stay away from the usual strategies followed by most jewellers who rope in popular celebrities as brand ambassadors. Though brand ambassadors do help in creating the buzz, it would in many ways distract focus from the brand’s core offerings. The decision to not have brand ambassadors was also because the finances could be utilised in a more efficient manner. The brand already possessed an aspirational value and it targeted primarily the cream of the crop. This quality that the brand possessed is one of its best assets and needed to be used to its advantage.
- Get the internal team in place
- Create a compelling campaign idea
- Determine ways to build and integrate the idea across platform
- Choose the teams to execute the plan in the best possible way.
- Allocate and monitor work.
The Internal Team
The initial activity of building a good team in Chennai began more than 2 months before the launch. With a clear understanding of the roles to be filled, appropriate candidates were chosen after 3 rounds of interviews. Newspaper advertising, Social Media promotions and Job Portals like Naukri and Monster were used to achieve this.
Creating a Compelling Concept
The brand had some really interesting offerings. Some of them being;
- Every piece of jewellery is created using the finest quality diamonds, stunning concepts, top class technology and the most skilled artisans.
- Not more than few pieces of the same designs are ever made.
- A highly exclusive service that Viswa & Devji offers to its customers is that they can develop customised jewellery with the support of in-house design experts.
- The designs at Viswa & Devji cannot be found anywhere else.
One word that communicates what Brand Viswa & Devji has to offer was “Extraordinary”. The brand really wanted to make its customers experience luxury at its finest. From the quality of products to the quality of service that Viswa & Devji offered, it was all extraordinary. Being a brand that is entering a new market, it was vital to keep it simple, crisp and to the point. Thus the Concept “Experience the Extraordinary” was crafted.
The most creative, fabulous looking products were specially chosen and photographed to be used exclusively for the launch of Viswa & Devji’s Chennai Showroom.
Build and Integrate the idea across platform
Various communication tools were chosen to take the message across.
- Direct Marketing
- Invitations as Online and Offline Direct mailers
- Special guests needed to be invited individually. Instead of roping in Celebrities, popular personalities were invited as guests for the three day exclusive pre-launch.
- SMS’s were sent as reminders two days ahead of the launch and on the day of the launch. Care was taken not to bombard prospective customers with too many messages.
- Tele calling was also done to personally invite guests.
- Newspaper were used to announce the launch
- Radio was used to remind and maintain curiosity.
- Billboards were taken up in prime locations in Chennai and it was used to build curiosity
- Social Media was used to build the buzz and act as a reminder. Linkedin, Facebook and youtube were the key social media platforms.
- Online ads on google were also done.
- Offline and online push of brand specific information.
- Press conferences and invitation for the exclusive preview.
A business press meet was conducted 10 days before the official launch. Journalists from all leading television channels, Publications and online portals were invited for the event at ITC Grand. A snapshot of the brand, its specialty and its offerings were showcased at the press meet.
The showroom in Chennai was scheduled to be launched on 20th of September. Prior to the launch, a 3 day exclusive premier was scheduled for the HNI and popular personalities of Chennai.
Close to 30,000 VIP’s, celebrities and socialites of Chennai and nearby cities were invited for the event. By allocating the funds to personally inviting important people of Chennai and not spending a large budget on bringing celebrities had worked out better because it enabled the brand to reach out to a larger network of people who in fact were the target audience for the brand. The exclusive launch for three days also saw quite a number of footfalls to the showroom. All guests were provided with a sumptuous array of snacks. It was a true display of the luxurious service that the brand promises.
For nearly a month leading to the launch, Viswa & Devji’s social media pages on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest, google+ and Instagram was abuzz with activities. The idea was to keep it simple. Showcase some of the best products to grab attention and inform them about the launch date and venue.
Offline and Online PR were two of the most powerful tools adapted for the launch. News about the launch appeared on all major Television and Radio channels in Tamil Nadu, dailies(English and Vernacular), magazines(English and Vernacular) and websites.
The campaign, with all its integrated activities, managed to achieve a lot with a fraction of the mass media budget. This was possible only because of some smart planning, chalking out realistic goals and constant monitoring of all activities and teams involved.
Here is a snapshot of the campaign
Business Press Meet
Business Press Meet
Business Press Meet